10 Step Detox Program
Spring is on the way along with warmer weather and so we’ll spend more time outdoors. After the winter months of moving less, spending time inside, and overindulging in comfort foods, we may be left thinking and feeling we need to detox to prepare our bodies for the summer ahead.
Why do a detox?
Our urban lifestyle exposes us to a myriad of environmental and chemical toxins, in combination with toxins from our diet, lifestyle, pharmaceutical medications and
stress. Endogenous (internal) toxins are also produced within our bodies as a result of the metabolism of our cells. These all contribute to our toxic load.
Our body has natural mechanisms to remove toxins and waste. Our body processes toxins via the bowel, bladder, skin, lungs and (most importantly) the liver. However, if any of these detoxification pathways aren’t working properly, or there is toxic overload, toxins won’t be removed from the body effectively. Over time, toxins can slowly accumulate and overload our internal detoxification systems.
Symptoms that indicate you may have increased toxic burden:
▪️ Skin problems
▪️ Constipation or diarrhoea
▪️ Low energy and mood
▪️ Mood swings
▪️ Joint pain
▪️ Struggling to lose weight
What a detox involves:
A detox involves supporting the body and the primary detoxification organs, to remove toxins and wastes effectively. Like taking our car in for a service, tune up and oil change, our bodies need to detox and excrete toxins to ensure that our health isn’t compromised by becoming toxic.
Getting started - 10 simple changes you can make to start your detox
- Eliminate all processed and refined foods and eliminate refined sugar intake
- Replace coffee with herbal tea, golden latte, dandelion, nettle or green tea
- Drink a fresh vegetable juice diluted with 50% water every morning (e.g. 1/2 beetroot, a hand full of spinach, 1/2 orange, 1cm piece ginger, 2 celery sticks, 1 carrot, water)
- Drink 2 litres of water daily
- Eat fresh vegetables and fruits (ideally organic and in season), wild-caught fish, grass-fed meat, free-range poultry, nuts, seeds, gluten-free grains and legumes
- Add fresh herbs and spices to meals (particularly turmeric and ginger)
- Move! Do a minimum of 20 minutes of moderate exercise 4 times per week
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine to help you sleep (minimise phone/laptop use, have a warm bath/shower, block out light in your bedroom)
- Hit the infrared sauna or try a flotation tank
Personalise your detox
The tips above will certainly help you start feeling better and more energetic, however, it’s important to note that detoxing is not a one size fits all approach. Done properly and with the support of a qualified health practitioner (like a naturopath) a detox can enhance your wellbeing significantly.
A personalised detox will be designed specifically for you so it’s practical, manageable and suitable for you and your health. When choosing an appropriate detox program it’s important to ensure a holistic approach. Ideally, your individual health would be assessed, including any existing conditions, medications and specific needs. A combination of dietary advice, lifestyle tips including reducing toxic exposure and stress management, as well as support for your detoxification pathways will be most effective.
Benefits of a personalised detox
▪️ Customised program for your specific health and lifestyle
▪️ One-on-one support
▪️ Negative detox symptoms can be carefully monitored and managed
▪️ Realistic goals can be set and progress tracked with the support of a healthcare provider
▪️ Nutritional and herbal supplements tailored to your health and unique requirements
Despite the misconception that a detox (or cleanse) is a time of deprivation and starvation, done properly it can be an excellent way to kick start your health and wellbeing.
This article was written by Melbourne Naturopath Lina Capovilla Vital Chi Wellness. Lina uses cutting edge research, technology and testing to guide her patients to improved health. To ensure the best results, her approach is personalised and integrates diet, lifestyle and nutritional advice. For more information on personalising a detox program contact us today.