- 800 g beef cheeks.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 200 g portobello mushrooms.
- 3 carrots.
- 2 celery stalks.
- 2 brown onions.
- 2 cloves garlic.
- 3 bay leaves.
- 2 teaspoon each of fresh thyme leaves and rosemary leaves.
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste.
- 2 cups of beef stock.
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or corn starch.
- Turn on your slow cooker. Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat and brown the meat for 2 minutes each side. Remove from pan and place into slow cooker.
- Place the rest of the ingredients (except the arrowroot/corn starch) on top in the order listed, stir the vegetables lightly and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low 8 hours.
- If you like a thicker sauce, add the arrowroot/cornstarch in the final 20 minutes.
- Serve beef with steamed beans or zucchini and fresh green salad leaves
Image credit: Irena Macri