In Australia, 1 in 3 couples will experience infertility if aged 35 or over.
As more and more couples consider starting a family later in life, many are unaware of the health barriers that can prolong the fertility journey and may assume that IVF is their only option. Little is known about how Naturopathy can support their fertility journey and enhance the IVF medical process.
Who should be considering Fertility Support with a Naturopath?
- Are actively trying and unable to conceive after one year of unprotected sex
- Have a history of being on contraceptive medication/methods for four years or more
- Have irregular periods
- Experience premenstrual symptoms
- Have a family history of fertility challenges
- Have been diagnosed with endocrine disorders
How can Naturopathy/ Functional Medicine support IVF?
- Improve treatment outcomes: egg and sperm quality, improve egg numbers (where needed)
- Better recovery from treatments
- Reduce symptoms from medication and treatments
- Improve stress management
- General health benefits: diet changes and lifestyle factors that influence outcomes such as improve energy, sleep, weight loss, smoking/alcohol cessation.
Studies have also shown that working with a Naturopath can provide significant benefits for individuals undergoing IVF. Herbal remedies, dietary changes and supplements can improve fertility outcomes in individuals undergoing IVF.
Recent studies have even found that supplementing with Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), a powerful antioxidant, can improve egg quality and increase the chances of a successful pregnancy in individuals undergoing IVF. Another study found that for some people, supplementing with DHEA, a hormone that is important for reproductive function, can improve ovarian response and increase the chances of a successful pregnancy.
Moreover, Naturopathy can provide benefits beyond improving fertility outcomes, these natural therapies can improve overall health and well-being, reduce stress and anxiety, and improve quality of life in individuals undergoing IVF.
What other support can a Naturopath provide?
Naturopaths can also provide valuable support and guidance throughout the process, helping individuals understand the complexities of fertility treatments and providing emotional support and counselling to cope with the challenges of IVF.
It's important to note that while naturopathic medicine can be an effective complement to conventional fertility treatments, it should not be seen as a replacement for medical advice from a reproductive endocrinologist. Rather, it should be used as part of an integrated care approach that combines the best of both natural and conventional therapies.
Naturopathic medicine has the potential to improve fertility outcomes and overall wellbeing in individuals undergoing IVF. By partnering with a Naturopath, individuals can benefit from a personalised and holistic approach to IVF that addresses the root causes of fertility concerns and promotes overall health and wellbeing, both now and long into the future.
Written by Melbourne Wellness Naturopath, Feriyal Glaidous