Here at Vitalchi we are dedicated to providing you the upmost professional & scientifically proven natural therapy and medicines available;
Here are some insights and discussions in natural medical science from modern sciences and proven healing techniques.
Vitamin D - More than just a Vitamin!
- Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Vitamin D is more than just a vitamin. It plays a role in:
- Calcium Metabolism
- Precursor to hormones that regulate more than 1000 human genes
- Stimulation of Insulin Production
- Modulation effect of B and T lymphocytes
- Heart muscle contractibility
- Helps in the promotion of Thyroid-stimulating hormone secretion
- Improves muscle strength
During winter up to 70% of the population may suffer from Vitamin D deficiency. Those at the greatest risk of deficiency include:
- The elderly
- Dark-skinned individuals
- Healthy people who spend most of the time indoors
- Those with food allergies and sensitivities due to decreased gut absorption
- People with liver and kidney disease
- Certain medications
- People who are overweight
Vitamin D deficiency has also been implicated in the following diseases:
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Systemic Lupus erythematosus
- Multiple sclerosis
- Type 1 diabetes
- Some forms of cancer
(Cannell JJ, Hollis BW. Use of vitamin D in clinical practice. Alt Med Rev 2008;13(1):6-20)
More and more research is emerging that point to the importance of vitamin D and the role it plays in the body. In practice Vitamin D deficiency is something that we are more routinely checking clients for and treating. I think that if you spend most of your time indoors during winter, like most of the Melbourne population, then you need to have your Vitamin D levels checked. Recommended healthy blood levels for Vitamin D is between 100 – 175nmol/L
So if you are catching cold after cold, feeling run down, tired, fatigued and have sore muscles then vitamin D deficiency is something that you should consider.
- Trackback Link
- Post has no trackbacks.
Copyright 2015 Vitalchi Melbourne Wellness. All Rights Reserved.
Vitalchi Wellness / Melbourne Wellness is the property of Enhance & Achieve Pty Ltd. Any views
and opinions expressed herein are those of the author(s) only. All trademarks, slogans, text or logo represented, used, or referred
to in this site are the property of their respective owners.