What is Psoriasis?
Are you or someone you love affected by psoriasis? You are not alone Psoriasis is a common skin condition affecting 2-5% of the world population and 6% of adults in Australia. There are different types and levels of psoriasis that can occur at any age, however most frequently in early adulthood or in fifth or sixth decade of life. There is also a great deal of evidence to indicate that psoriasis may result from a disorder in the immune system characterised by chronic inflammation, and skin thickening. Our skin cells normally mature in approximately four weeks but with psoriasis they can mature in as little as three to four days, resulting in dry, red and inflamed, raised lesions covered by silvery white scales. Psoriasis is a chronic condition that can potentially become debilitating, but there is still hope.
So If Psoriasis is interfering with your sleep and you are experiencing constant itching, pain, swelling or worry about your appearance. Please call Melbourne Wellness and make appointment with a qualified practitioner.
What are the symptoms of Psoriasis?
Psoriasis usually starts with small patches; Some people never have more then one or two, while others have patches covering large areas of the body. The classic symptoms of psoriasis include swollen, red patches of skin, or lesions, which are covered with loose, silvery scales. They are often located over the surfaces of the elbows, knees, scalp, and around or in the ears, navel, genitals, nails or buttocks, although it can appear anywhere on the body. Psoriasis can be itchy and occasionally painful when outbreaks happen, however is not contagious.
What causes Psoriasis?
The causes of psoriasis remain uncertain, although genetic predisposition to psoriasis is indeed evident. There are other contributing factors such as:
- Defect in skin cell turnover
- Digestive factors
- Internal and external factors
- Life style (alcohol, smoking, environment)
- Coeliac disease and/or gluten intolerance
- Altered Gut permeability (causing immune system to be over-reactive)
- Malabsorption (reduced absorption of essential nutrients)
- Sluggish liver
- Gut inflammation
- Reaction to certain medications
- Parasitic infection
- Anxiety and/or stress
As we listed above it could be one or more predisposing or contributing factors, which may be the trigger of Psoriasis. Scientific studies confirm that Stress and Anxietycould play a large role in either causing or exacerbating the problem. Triggers will vary from person to person and what may cause one person with psoriasis to flare up may produce no reaction in another person.
How can Vital Chi help Treat Psoriasis?
Vital Chi’s experienced naturopaths can offer natural, drug-free treatment for Psoriasis. Naturopathy takes a holistic approach to your health, assessing the ‘whole person’ and using accurate diagnostic testing to identify the causes and contributing factors to your condition. There are many different treatment options that can be used to control psoriasis outbreaks. There is no need to wait before you experience joint inflammation that produces symptoms similar to arthritis.
Here’s what you can expect:
1. Your Naturopath will take a thorough case history to determine the cause and severity of your condition.
2. They may recommend testing, and other medical investigations to confirm symptoms and to eliminate any underlying factors, or conditions.
3. Based on this, your Naturopath will advise particular dietary and lifestyle adjustments, as well as prescribing nutritional medicines tailored specifically to your symptoms and the underlying issue(s).
Your natural treatment approach may include:
- Correcting Immune dysregulation
- Reducing inflammation
- Correct gut abnormalities
- Elimination of any sensitivities
- Providing dietary and life style clinical tips
- Addressing undersupply of essential nutrients
- Promoting skin healing
- Identification of foods to avoid/include in the diet
- Addressing underlying/coexisting conditions
- Assisting with anxiety and compromised stress adaptation
- Taking specific amounts of essential nutrients
- Taking specific botanical medicines or herbal remedies for psoriasis
Start Your Wellness Journey
Get In Touch with us today
We offer a free 15 minute consultation for all new customers.
Enquire about any of our services and book a consultation with one of our specialist therapists.