What is fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a common condition that affects your bones and muscles, characterised by widespread musculoskeletal pain. It is usually accompanied by fatigue, loss of memory and difficulty concentrating.
What causes fibromyalgia?
It is unknown what causes fibromyalgia as many factors can trigger your body’s pain response. There are various reported causes such as physical or emotional trauma, autoimmune disease, anxiety and depression.
What are the symptoms of fibromyalgia?
The symptoms of fibromyalgia will be different for different people, but generally one or more of the following may be experienced:
- Widespread pain
- Restless leg syndrome and muscle cramps
- Fatigue and non-restorative sleep
- Headaches and migraines
- Mood and cognitive issues including anxiety, depression, dizziness
- Other systemic problems that can hit the digestive, urinary, immune & reproductive systems
- Swelling and oedema in the extremities
- Sensitivities to light, sound and smells
Massage can help address the physical and emotional symptoms of fibromyalgia. Your Remedial Massage Therapist will use techniques to improve circulation in the muscles, helping nutrients flow freely around the body and aid in the elimination of waste. This will relax your muscles, reduce your heart rate and encourage the production of your body’s natural pain killers.
The type of massage and the strength will depend on your needs. At Vital Chi we use the following massage types to treat fibromyalgia:
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage massage to help boost the immune system, helping the body recover more quickly from infections and speed up removal of toxins. It is also extremely beneficial in treating swelling of the extremities and oedema.
- Shiatsu massage to improve associated pain and provide a more restful night sleep
- Reiki to assist the body’s natural ability to heal itself
- Craniosacral therapy to reduce pain and tenderness caused by ‘knots’ and painful muscle contraction
- Relaxation massage to calm the muscles and decrease pain levels
Naturopathy will address the underlying cause of your fibromyalgia symptoms. One of our specialist naturopaths will assess you sleep habits, toxicity levels, hormone balance and stress indicators. A comprehensive treatment plan will be put in place to treat your needs.
Treatment may include:
- Gentle assisted stretching and mobilisation
- Diaphragmatic breathing exercises
- Diet, nutrition and antioxidants