Is Hypothyroidism Dragging You Down?
Many people suffer from Hypothyroidism, but its wide ranging symptoms mean it’s often not diagnosed for some time; they trudge silently on in their life, burdening the pain that is exhausting emotionally, mentally and physically. This page tells you what hypothyroidism is, its common symptoms, and how we can help you overcome the condition with a simple and natural solution.
What Is Hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism means that your body is not producing enough thyroid hormones. These hormones are known as T3 & T4 and are produced in the butterfly shaped thyroid gland, located just below the Adam’s apple. There are many forms of hypothyroidism such as postnatal hypothyroidism, hashimoto’s disease and primary, secondary and tertiary hypothyroidism; all requiring their own specialised treatment. Therefore finding and treating your ROOT cause is paramount.
How Do I Know If I Have Hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism can be hard to recognise at first because many people live with minor or major symptoms of hypothyroidism put it down to feeling ‘run down’ or ‘old age’ for years without ever really knowing what the cause is.
There is a long list of symptoms that can relate to a hypothyroid. Do you experience any of these?
- Easily Gain Weight
- Puffy Face, Droopy Eye Lids
- Excessive Menstrual Bleeding
- Intolerance to Cold, Cold skin
- Brain Fog, Memory Problems & Difficulty Concentrating
- Thinning or Loss of Outer – Third of Eyebrows
- Tightness and swelling of Neck
- Premenstrual Tension
- Reduced Libido
- Slow Reflexes
- Muscle Weakness, Aches or Cramps
- Thinning Hair on Scalp, Armpits, Pubic
- Loss of Appetite and Constipation
- Dry Skin, Hair & Brittle Nails
- Absence of Periods
How Would I Get Hypothyroidism?
Unfortunately women are 10 times for more likely to develop a hypothyroid in their lifetime than men. One study showed nearly 6 percent of women over the age of 60 had hypothyroidism, and some experts believe that further 20 percent have subclinical hypothyroidism. This is mainly due to the fact that menopausal and hypothyroidism symptoms often mimic each other, therefore many women escape the hypothyroidism net and are misdiagnosed.
Some other common risk factors include:
- Estrogen dominance
- Thyroid resistance
- Malnutrition & iodine deficiency
- Immune imbalance such as found in Hashimoto’s disease
- Radioactive iodine (treatment for hyperthyroidism)
How Can A Vital Chi Practitioner Help?
Vital Chi’s experienced naturopaths can offer natural, drug-free treatment for hypothyroidism. In fact we have our own hypothyroid specialists
Naturopathy takes a holistic approach to your health, assessing the ‘whole person’ and using accurate diagnostic testing to identify the causes and contributing factors to your condition. You can read more about Naturopathy here.
Here’s What You Can Expect:
1. Your naturopath will take a thorough case history to determine the cause and severity of your condition.
2. They may recommend blood or saliva hormone testing, and other medical investigations to confirm hypothyroidism.
3. Based on this, your naturopath will advise particular dietary and lifestyle adjustments, as well as prescribing herbal and nutritional medicines tailored specifically to your symptoms and the underlying issue(s).
Their Approach May Include:
- Optimising thyroid function
- Balancing hormones
- Stimulating fat loss
- Normalising your body’s immune response
- Increasing your body’s ability produce energy
- Releasing toxins from your body
Don’t Ignore Hypothyroidism
Left untreated, hypothyroidism can lead to excess weight, debilitating fatigue, aching muscles and stiff joints, infertility and many more health problems. So Don’t you deserve the very best health care? make an appointment today with one of our experienced, caring naturopath’s at Vital Chi, and find a natural solution to your hypothyroidism. You can make an appointment online, email us, or phone us on (03) 9894 0014. Our clinic in Blackburn, Melbourne, is open six days a week.
Start Your Wellness Journey
Get In Touch with us today
We offer a free 15 minute consultation for all new customers.
Enquire about any of our services and book a consultation with one of our specialist therapists.