What is sciatica?
Sciatica is the name given to pain and/or a strange sensation going down your buttock and travelling to the back of your leg just above your knee. It can sometimes start in your back and travel as far down as your foot. It’s named sciatica as the pain or sensation travels down the sciatic nerve, the thickest and longest nerve in your body. Sciatica can be treated effectively by Osteopathy.
How do I know if I have sciatica?
Sciatica can cause any of the following symptoms. If you have any of these symptoms we recommend you see an osteopath for a proper assessment.
Change your life now and book and appointment for Sciatica!make an appointment
- Pain in the buttock
- Pain in the lower back
- Pain going down your leg
- Pain travelling down to your foot
- Pins and needles and/or numbness feeling going down your leg
- Pins and needles and/or numbness feeling in your foot
- If you have these feelings while on the toilet, or when you cough or sneeze.
(*Important: If you lose control of your bowel or bladder, with or without any of the above symptoms, please seek medical attention immediately).
What can cause sciatica?
Sciatica can be caused by a variety of conditions. Common causes include:
- Disc bulge/herniation (‘slipped disc’): A spinal disc can press on the sciatic nerve
- Arthritis: Bony outgrowths can compress the sciatic nerve
- Piriformis syndrome: A tight muscle in the buttock region presses the sciatic nerve
- Lumbar spinal stenosis: The sciatic nerve is squashed by part of the vertebra (spine bone)
- Pregnancy: Hips can expand and press on the sciatic nerve
Help! How can I get relief from my sciatica?
We know sciatica can be a real pain (literally!), and hampers your lifestyle. The good news is that you have come to the right place for help. Osteopathy, offered at Vital chi Wellness Sanctuary, can be a very effective way to get relief from painful sciatica.
At your appointment your osteopath will firstly assess whether you are in a safe condition to be treated. If so, they will use various soft tissue and gentle manipulative techniques to treat the cause of the sciatica and improve function in your body. Your osteopath will also show you exercises you can continue at home, to help you get long lasting relief from sciatica in super quick time!
How Safe Is Osteopathy?
Osteopathy is a very safe, and totally natural, treatment. In Australia, osteopaths must train for five years to become qualified. They have in depth knowledge of anatomy and physiology, and a thorough knowledge of medical conditions and diagnosis – so osteopaths know when to treat and when to refer patients to other medical specialists. Your safety is always the top priority.
Say good-bye to sciatica!
Get relief from sciatica – now. Contact Vital chi today for an osteopathy appointment. You can make an appointment online, email us or phone us on (03) 9894 0014. Our clinic in Blackburn, Melbourne, is open six days a week.